The saying goes like, ‘what one eats reflects on the skin’; and no wonder those who are conscious about their diet are always looking healthy, fit and beautiful than those who seldom bother about what they eat.
In fact, many authoritative sources quote that your diet plays the most important role when it comes down to your fitness, health and even longevity. For e.g. here’s an excerpt from a very popular diet program called the trim down club and what they say about your food habits…
Though other (online diet)programs may push mostly exercise, we push a balanced combination with the right foods. Now of course, you should be exercising as part of an overall healthy lifestyle and habit, but the exercise that you perform will only help to either accentuate or deteriorate the efforts (or lack of) that you are putting in your diet. Therefore, the main focus of the trim down club and in getting your body to where it needs to be is eating the right foods.
(You can read more about the trim down club here: skinnybetty.com/trim-down-club-reviews/)
Now, back to our topic again, on a daily basis our body requires a certain amount of various nutrients. These nutrients are – carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins and water. What roles do these nutrients pay and why are they important?
- Carbohydrates and fats- They are the source of energy for the body. They provide the body with the essential glucose, starch, lipids (fatty acids). After every meal our body uses a part of energy from these substances and stores some energy for the time when we are not eating. (Fats also protect our internal organs).
- Proteins- Proteins belong to the maintenance department of the body. They look after the regular wear and tear of the body. They provide the body with amino acids- which are also called as the building blocks of the body. Proteins also provide luster and smoothness the skin.
- Minerals- These include metals and non metals that are required in trace amounts by the body. Sodium, potassium, iron, zinc, calcium etc are few minerals that are play a vital role in proper functioning of the body.
- Vitamins- These are vital nutrients again required in very little quantity by the body but on a regular basis. Vitamins help the proper functioning of various life processes of the body. Vitamins bring a glow on the skin and face.
- Water- The liquid form of life. The role of this nutrient is extensive and does not require any explanations.
This explains us the importance of the nutrients in our body. What is a Balanced Nutrients? A balanced diet is a well planned diet that provides us with each of these nutrients in the adequate amount as required by our body.
What happens when we don’t pay attention to our diet?
Most of us don’t give much importance to the food we eat. Food is basically considered as something that soothes the hunger pangs or something that fulfills the desires of our taste buds. Little do we know that Food is something beyond this.
Those who are of the habits of eating fast food are not thoughtful enough to know that the fast food is not a balanced diet. Eating a pizza or a burger or sipping a cola-can at peak the lunch or dinner hour is a complete disaster to health.
Fast food is loaded with calories that we don’t need, instead we need proteins, vitamins and minerals which are not available in any of its serving. Instead of drinking a glass of water for quenching the thirst, a can of soda is preferred.
Soda contains nothing beyond sugars and caffeine. A whole fresh fruit provides us with fructose, fibers, minerals and vitamins, but drinking a canned fruit juice takes away the fiber and other nutrients from it and is instead served with additional sugars in it. This kind of a dietary habit does not make our food balanced. Thus our body will not function properly.
OBESITY- An imbalanced diet where there is more of fat present per meal than required makes our body fat and obese.
NUTRIONAL DEFIEICNY- When the nutritional needs of our body are not fulfilled, we become nutritional deficient and fall prey to several nutritional disorders. Also diseases related to the heart, liver, endocrines; various types of cancers are on a rise due to the faulty eating patterns.
LETHARGY- Whether a person is obese or lean thin, when the body is not supplied with adequate amounts of energy, proteins and water, the person is bound to feel weak and lethargic. Gradually the endurance of the body lowers down.
So now you know how important your diet is for your health. Always make sure that you are eating the right things and at the right time. And always remember that ‘only in a healthy body resides a healthy mind’!